Click Me Click Me Click Me Click Me Click Me Click Me

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tutorial-how to make canvas panels part 1


Friends-get your tools ready! You can make your own canvas panels/boards. There are many great things about doing your own...canvas choices, custom sizes, and lower costs than most store bought panels. The drawback? It's messy, and you need the proper tools for best results. Here is a list of the tools I use for this procedure:
primed canvas-I am using Fredrix oil primed linen, from Art Supply Warehouse
tempered masonite-from Lowes, or, you can use 1/4" birch handy panels from Home Depot
rolling pin-from Home Goods store, has silicone on outside, metal on inside
spatula-home goods store
Elmer's white glue-anywhere
old newsprint, scissors, pencil, damp rag, heavy books/weights

Why the rolling pin? I used to use an old brayer for inking etching plates to roll over the canvas. This would smooth out the bubbles. The brayer was only 4-5 inches wide and about an inch in diameter. It dawned on me that I needed a giant brayer if I wanted to speed up the phase, and get better results. I had an old marble rolling pin, and tested that out...a definite improvement. One day while wandering around Home Goods, I spotted this pink Breast Cancer Awareness rolling pin, with that lovely sponge-y silicone coating. I thought that it would bond the canvas better to the board, especially considering that most boards are not perfectly flat. The outside of the rolling pin has more "give" and gets into the nooks and crannies better than a hard rolling pin. It was only 12.00, so I was sold on it. If you do not know what Home Goods is, well shame on you! It's a big housewares type store, but with cheap goods like Marshalls or TJMaxx. A good place for still life stuff and cooking tools. There is a store in Encinitas on El Camino Real.
So, get your stuff, and I will post the next step soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment