Here is the final costume from the Circus pose. You can see the corset shaping that is typical of the Edwardian era. The under layer of the skirt is a vintage striped cotton that I purchased on ebay. I bought an entire bolt of it for about 20.00. It required many yards, cut on the bias to get all the ruffling built up.
I used a ruffling attachment on my sewing machine, which was a real time saver. I also used a rolled hem foot, which turned the raw edges under-also a great time saver. I am pretty new to modern sewing techniques and tools. A serger purchased last year sat in its box until recently-out of fear of trying it!
The lower diameter was over 90" around, and this tapered by 2/3 to the waist line.
This is the middle layer of the skirt. A wonderful dotted cotton organdy from the 40's formed this layer. Under it is a layer of pale mint green silk organza. I wanted to tie in the blue green of the corset to the skirt.I forgot to get a picture of the top layer- it is silk taffeta edged in striped bias tape. Each point has a tiny gold bell which makes a jingling sound.
Our most lovely model Savannah is perfect for this pose. She is wearing these funky tights I found with harlequin diamonds. The boots are velvet, modern made, but a good match for Edwardian button up boots. The sheer undershirt is an antique, with frilly lace details. The hat is also an antique, with added antique embellishments.
Erik and I made this swing, and it hangs from the rafters. This has been a very fun and interested variety of materials to paint.