Here is a newly finished commission for a Regency era bonnet. This one is made from a dark gray silk taffeta outer and a deep cherry black silk taffeta inner fabric.
This style has a round crown, and a shorter brim. It has been trimmed with antique silk velvet ribbon, pleated silk taffeta fabric, antique ostrich plumes, antique silver lace, antique button and silk lily with antique metal fabric overlay.
The brim has also been covered with French antique silk bonnet veiling in a dot pattern and handmade lace edge.
These usually covered the front of the bonnet, but we want to see each other, so I used it for the brim instead.
Here you can see the proportions being round and smaller brimmed.
The inside is pleated silk taffeta with silk ribbon ties in a mulberry shade.
This is the ribbon flower I made from silk and it is covered in antique metal tricotine fabric.
I finally finished my Annie Oakley painting. This is titled "Annie Oakley." My most creative title yet. It is a 38x18 oil on linen panel. This proved to be a most difficult assignment. I have never worked from posthumous reference before. One of the strange things about her photographs is that she really did not look like the same person in any of the photos. I don't know if her features changed over time as she aged, or if creative Victorian photographers "enhanced" the photos. She was a very tough type.
Annie usually posed in a very stoic stance for her photos. I believe she wanted to project a strong image and be taken seriously as a marksmen.
This unusual foot stance was in a few of the photos, so I went with it for the photo shoot. I was so happy to have the prop gun, that would have been impossible to paint using a stick or some other object as a stand-in.