Click Me Click Me Click Me Click Me Click Me Click Me

Monday, June 9, 2014

My first bra-VeraVenus pattern 1940s style brassier

Did you think I was going to show you a picture of my first bra? It was a wonder woman bra with a big W on it and patriotic colors. I really did not have any use for it, but that did not stop me from wearing it and hoping for something to happen. 
I am showing you my first finished sewing attempt at making a bra. This pattern is from VeraVenus, for an early 1940s brassiere. It is a great way to get a correct look for vintage clothing, as well as use up small bits of lovely lace and fabric.  I used a heavy antique silk satin, antique lace, and vintage bra straps.
One does not need very much lace for a project like this, and this old 1930s alencon was a very good color match as well as historical match. Using a glue stick for sewing is a lifesaver. Instead of pinning fiddly bits, you can use the glue stick around the edges and mate two things together. It washes out and dries clear.
I was drawn to the bust supports in this pattern. The pattern called for more rows, but I messed that up, and had to go with this number. These parallel lines add some extra support under the bosom. The use of underwire was not seen very often during this time period. The 1950s saw a great use of it, and the birth of the bullet bra and cathedral bra began.
The two cups are sewn and assembled before joining together. I did not do the greatest job of sewing my lines on the bust supports, but I did try.
The inside is lined in cotton net...perhaps good for structure, but a bit scratchy.  If I make this again, I will use silk or something to line it. Here you can see the vintage bra straps, as well as a reproduction back closure. I don't like this back closure, it is difficult to fasten, and will use something else next time.
I think the finished product really has that old style look, and I am pretty happy with this first attempt. The pattern maker has a lot of good information on her VeraVenus site. She is going to come out with a bullet bra as a future pattern, and that is something not to miss.

1 comment: